View Single Post
Old 06-03-2003, 12:28 PM   #24
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Hurting

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Hello Ledyard Sensei. I don't mean to be arguementative, but one thing that occurs to me is that it doesn't seem that the student hurt the instructor in any physical way. Embarrassed, sure; perhaps even cost him some students. But the instructor didn't seem to get physically hurt. So I'm not sure I'd be comfortable "nuking" someone under those circumstances. Now if they actually try to break **me**...as opposed to my rice bowl...then all bets are off.

Based on the description...I'd have to question the student's motives too.

RT
Hi Ron,

Don't misunderstand. I didn't say that I would nuke them. You're right, it wouldn't be appropriate to injure them under this kind of circumstance. What I said was the I know people who wouldn't have qualms about doing so. In other words, going out of your way to humiliate someone in his own dojo puts you at some risk; you're taking their good will for granted. This does not show a good Budo attitude I think.

No, my own reaction, which I think I can back up, would be to dump them to let them know that I could do so but to do so in a way that we both know that I could have hurt them but chose not to. I haven't actually had to do this because I haven't had anyone really insincere challenge me on the mat. The folks that have were doing so out of a desire to learn and I responded accordingly. I did have one guy come in from a karate school and his teacher had told him that Aikido didn't work... by the time he left he was ready to find a school in his town. But I was able to do that without hurting him at all. I made the techniques I used appropriate for someone who didn'y know any ukemi.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com