View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #75
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Wink Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Hypothesis 2- The muscles of the dantien (muscles in the hip/abdomen area of the body) are starting an action that makes a sequential contraction in muscles from the dantien area out towards the localized muscles, "chain linking" muscular power together.

<snip> I would guess that Dave is more a fan of hypothesis 2
Yes I am.
I'd like to add that the sequential contraction can also be inwards towards dantien and I'd like to note that muscle contraction can flex or extend body parts.

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
So although I find myself agreeing the most with hypothesis 2, the mentioning of 'muscles' makes me nervous, because it makes no sense in the model of the human body the idea of 'dantien' is coming from and secondly because in my own practice I focus on relaxing all muscles as much as possible.
Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
If all muscles were completely relaxed what would move the body?
I do think muscles are needed to move the body. But in my experience, opinions to the degree of this vary. Some might be tending more towards 3 or 1.

Anyway, I do think that local muscle flexing tends to interfere with "chain linking". So Joep makes perfect sense to me in the admonition to be as relaxed as possible to prevent this.