View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Re: Seminar Doubts - Your Advice?

Jim, I can't tell the master this directly. Nor my teacher. No matter how discretely, I just don't see it as a positive. This Shihan is regarded a demigod, good or bad. I have spoken to him just once, informally, last year: he seems very nice though a bit detached from what a student may think; forget about bringing up an opinion about the inadequate nature of his lecture/classes. Besides I don't think this is really about me. I do think changes are coming in regard to teaching methods once the uchi deshi era has passed. I'd like to think I've touched on why, yet I digress.

I'm not surprised that you believe that you can't speak with the shihan. And frankly, if you were going to do so, I'd advise you to tread lightly, and do so in a way that would not cause the shihan to "lose face". A letter might be better.

But I am surprised that you can't bring the matter up with your own teacher. It seems to me that a teacher who discourages his or her students from asking questions (at the proper time and place) is not helping the students learn.

It will take more than the demise of the uchi deshi to change the teaching methods (such as they are) in aikido. I'm afraid that to the extent that most students behave like sheep, most teachers will treat them accordingly.

Please let me know if you attend the seminar, and if you do attend, whether the shihan does well. Again, good luck!