View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #131
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
Ok but what is it? I have already heard a couple of times before about a reason being there for our training being so biased towards un-combativeness, but every time they allude to it, for some reason they don't explain this reason openly.

For a guy who comes from a boxing background, and who learned how highly educative physical clash can be, it seems irreplaceable - confrontation against vigorous resistance, a tonic like no other!

Once you have experienced it, once you sipped that type of training, learning by trial and errors within a highly combative training setting, all the rest seems ghastly.

I don't know if what I say makes some sense too.

Maybe one needs to have been there - do you know, that nostalgia, that ancient Greek "nostoi", that inability of the fighter to accommodate himself ever again into common life once he has been through combat...
I think it's a splinter of that - once applied the appropriated proportions.

thence we speak two entirely different languages where I am at fault in both cases: I can't understand aikido, and I can't make myself understood either when I advocate the beauty of vigorous fighting training, because maybe only if one has been there one understands it (btw I think safety concerns are something I always showed considerable respect, however).

Now that I cannot boxe anymore, and now that I got fascinated by aikido, I keep dreaming an aikido where they would allow me to learn by intense physical confrontation.

I will never find that dojo.
Alberto. Therein lies the conflict in doing a martial art the purpose of which is harmony.

The answer for me lies in the concept of budo. For me in budo there is no fighting, no oppositional mind. Thus my Aikido is soft.

Does this equal no intense physical confrontation? No. The attacker can be as intense and physical as they like.

Budo in this way is very intensive and requires great discipline. However it would thus be called more the art of no fighting.

It would however be called the art of finishing off quick time.

And when you can do that you then have choice and can afford to be compassionate in such circumstances.

Regards.G.