View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #78
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Breath, Aikido & Misogi

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
... I think I took that one step further. I actually like to make rowing a partner practice (every once and a while), where an 'uke' grabs your wrists and resists your movement a bit. If you move your middle first and then your arms it works pretty well. I can usually row a fairly strong person who is working hard to resist me. It would be fun to put someone behind me to push against my back as I rowed backward into that space - but I just thought of trying that this moment.

If someone can explain breath exercises and the reasoning behind them in a very physical way, or a mental/spiritual way I'm always willing to listen and try to learn.

Rob
When you are tested in the Ki Society for rowing, your partner holds your wrists and prevents you from moving backwards. Move your hips first by bending your back leg, then your hands. The feeling is that you're pulling from your elbows as you move back, like you're a marionette (puppet) with strings attached. Don't focus your mind on your wrists or you'll start fighting as you row backwards.

When you move forwards, your wrists are at your hips and your partner tries to prevent you from moving forward by holding. Bend your forward knee to start moving. Your hips will move first then move your arms once your partner starts moving. Your fingers are pointed down and the feeling is as if you're pushing from the back of your hands. Again, don't focus on the wrists.

When you row forwards, don't go too far. If you look down over your front knee, you should be able to see your toes. You shouldn't go any further than that. When you row forwards, your partner can test your stability by slightly pushing from behind at the small of the back. If you've over-extended yourself while rowing forwards, you'll be moved off balance.

When you are moving both forwards and backwards, your mind should be extending forwards. A good opponent can take advantage of the fact that your focus is off him. Train for forward extension.

For me, breathing exercises are just another way to learn to relax. It's a simple, physical way to calm down the body. Relax Completely is one of the four basic principles for Shin Shin Toitsu (mind and body coordination) and it is advice many aikido instructors give their students. You have to train to learn how to relax. This is one way to learn.

Last edited by tedehara : 02-15-2005 at 09:37 AM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You