Thread: Value of atemi
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
Re: Value of atemi

Thanks everyone for your great comments!

I understand that atemi could be used to take balance, aka a light jab. But is it not more efficient to blend than to resort to striking?

LC in response to the first comment on my sempai's aptitude for atemi. Yes, he understood the purpose and reasoning for the atemi. I cannot speak from training but the only atemi I have seen (not been taught) are a bit unfriendly and uke would be lucky to only walk away from one with only a light displacement of balance. Here I admit there could be/are large gaps in my knowledge. But they were all quite amazed at the atemi used. Being officers they tend to not want to hit people b/c of bad publicity, mountians of paperwork, and it just is not nice.

In refrence to the typical confrentation, I am speaking about the average person in a public location.

The resistance was completely natural and as identical as possible in both scenarios, but it could not possibly be perfect.

It is possible, if not probable, that if an atemi were misplaced then uke could use your own extention against you.

I guess my question could be rephrased as what are the value of atemi in kuzushi as opposed to blending and redirecting?

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming!
Gamubate!
Dustin

Last edited by DustinAcuff : 06-12-2005 at 11:19 PM.