View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
"Stina"
IP Hash: 88865e58
Anonymous User
Re: Physical contact vs. "no-touch" policy

Hmm, I don't quite know where to start... and I don't think I can quote when I'm not registered, so here we go:-)

To Wendy Rowe: Like you I am also much more careful when dealing with teens. I agree with you, in that they seem to need more space, and that should of course be respected.

With David Yapp I totally agree with the "off limits" zones gender wise. But as you say, there is such things as accidental touching and this should be recognized and accepted. Intend is everything, right? Oh yeah, and I really like the concept that Enoeda sensei apparently used, I could definitely see some advantages of this... (That's of course a joke:-D)

To Jon: I can see the logic in letting the sensei dictate what is "allowed" and "not allowed", but still the idea leaves me with a funny feeling. I would definitely prefer that people would be mature and aware enough to realise the different limits of different persons. Instead of making restrictions which would seem unnatural for some, and natural for others.

To Ian Dodkins: I agree with you whole heartedly. I would find it very weird to combine my aikido training with an aversion for physical contact. Those just don't mix for me.

Finally to "ToothfairyII": I'm sorry to hear of your dojo experience with that guy, but its great to hear that you are supported by the others:-)

Finally, I've been wondering for awhile, is it possible that there is much more acceptance for female instructors to have a "hands-on" approach, at least with children? I have never been worried about a child finding my behavior inappropriate, but I do believe that the male instructors at the dojo where I train, have given the thought some consideration, and are very careful not to do something that can be found inappropriate. Of course I am also careful as to not touching a child in an inappropriate manner, but I am not really worried of being accused of this either. Is it really so gender related, concerning teachers?