View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #129
kfa4303
Dojo: North Florida School of Aikido (ASU)
United_States
Re: does nikyo hurt?

"Famous study"? I've never seen it until now, and if you read the who thing there is quite a bit "assuming" and "surmising" going on. Aside from the fact that we're taking a huge leap in "assuming" they're even applying the techniques correctly, there are still so many variables they did not control for that this can hardly be called "scientific". The most obvious being a rather unresponsive cadaver specimen, which constituted a sample population of exactly 1. (what is the p-value for a sample of 1, 1? I don't see a Cronbach alpha-score listed in this "scientific" study) Quick, what am I talking about? No Googling.........LOL!!! It's beyond laughable, it's down right insulting to anyone who has even passing familiarity with basic statistics and the scientific method. Clearly, the good (doctors?) conducted amateur researchers, at best. Not to mention the few living subjects they applied the technique to were also of wildly contrasting builds and abilities, by their own admission.
Again, this is antithetical to the scientific method in which as many variable as possible must be accounted and controlled for. That includes the size, age, weight of the participants, a significantly large sample size, non-biased subjects and practitioners, etc.....
In the section titled "What's causing the Pain?: A re-examination of the Aikido Nikyo Technique" the authors admit freely that "Although it *appears* that the Nikyo technique of both studies was executed similarly, a discrepancy emerged in the findings..." Ya don't say? It *appears* as though David Copperfield can fly, so he must be able to fly. I mean it *appears* that way, so it must be true. They go on to admit that different subjects perceive the pain in vastly different regions and to greatly varying degrees with some reporting pain up the entire length of their arm. This discredits rather supports their hypothesis and suggests inconsistent application of technique on the part of the "experts". They go on to conclude that "It is the contention of this study that both studies' findings are correct." Furthermore, "The differing results may be attributed to the particular anatomy and length of training of the subjects." (again, with the lack of control specimens, tsk, tsk.) So despite the fact that they recorded pain in wildly different areas of the arm, on wildly different specimens, made no real attempts at control, had a sample of 1 cadaver and 2 Aikido buddies, they're right, even though their own evidences is inconsistent and best, if not outright contradictory?.?) Oh well, what did you think they were going to say? Let me guess, they need more money for further research too. (Don't they always?)
The only way for pain to radiate upwards from the wrist to be felt is via trauma to the radial and ulnar nerves, which extend up the entire length of the arm. The technique is referred to a wrist lock for good reason. As for "many of us becom(ing) quite immune to the aspect of it", well that's just about the least scientific, most subjective statement you can make. After all, who is "us"? You and your buddies who have some how managed to develop super powers and inhuman pain tolerance, which eludes the rest of us? If you really can't feel pain from a properly applied nikkyo, you haven't developed a new skill, you've developed nerve damage. Besides, I betcha nickle I and several other members here can make it work.
There is also no concrete evidence for their notion that "there is more of a gap between the bones" (gotta love that scientific lingo) as a result of exposure to nikkyo over time. Again, what was their sample size (1, 2, 3 whole people)?
This is pseudo-science at its best boys and girls. Stay away. Stay far, far away............