View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
yosushi
Dojo: AFKA
France
Re: Different requirements

If you are in a Ki society dojo, you will have to learn the 4 Ki principles and also 5 aikido principles.
I could be wrong, but I think they were established by Koichi Tohei (founder of Ki society and previous technical director of Aikikai).

They are all interrelated and you can develop a better understanding of aikido through their studies, as well as relaxing more in daily life. They are the principles underlying all aikido.

Ki principles / Principles for mind and body coordination
Or in japanese, Shinshin Toitsu no yondai gensoku ( mind-body unification `s 4 great principles )

1-Keep one point
2-Relax completely
3-Keep weight underside ( or "Have a light feeling" in Ki Federation of Great Britain )
4-Extend Ki

In japanese
1-seika no itten ni kokoro o shizume touitsu suru
2-zenshin no chikara o kanzen ni nuku
3-karada no subete no bubun no omomi o, sono saikabu ni oku
4-ki o dasu

5 Aikido Principles
Shinshin touitsu aikido no go gensoku
(mind/body unification for aikido`s 5 principles)

1-Extending Ki
2-Know your partner`s mind
3-Respect your partner`s ki
4-Put yourself in your partner`s place
5-Perform with confidence

In japanese
1-ki ga dete iru
2-aite no kokoro o shiru
3-aite no ki o tatobu
4-aite no tachiba ni tatsu
5-sossenkyuukou

Note how you can progress from principle 1, extending ki, feeling around yourself, finding someone there, learning/knowing his mind, seeing and respecting how he is extending his ki/will, then putting yourself in his place to understand what he will do, then doing your technique with confidence...
That`s my understanding at the moment.
There are many different grading syllabus out there and different words for each technique ( different japanese names and also english translations).
Having changed country and dojo, I`m struggling sometimes, adapting from one syllabus to the other
(and more importantly, having fun with nice people whatever the dojo I practice in).

Good luck making sense of your syllabus.

I hope this helps,
have a good day and great practices !