View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Ghandi and O'Sensei

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
In that order? Was non-violence the goal of Gandhi's political activism in South Africa?
Not necessarily in that order, no, and your second question leads me to think "probably not" but the Great Oracle of Truthiness, Wikipedia, suggests "yes." Certainly, non-violence was part of his means in South Africa:
Quote:
wikipedia wrote:
Gandhi adopted his still evolving methodology of satyagraha (devotion to the truth), or non-violent protest, for the first time. He urged Indians to defy the new law and to suffer the punishments for doing so. The community adopted this plan, and during the ensuing seven-year struggle, thousands of Indians were jailed, flogged, or shot for striking, refusing to register, for burning their registration cards or engaging in other forms of non-violent resistance. The government successfully repressed the Indian protesters, but the public outcry over the harsh treatment of peaceful Indian protesters by the South African government forced South African General Jan Christiaan Smuts to negotiate a compromise with Gandhi. Gandhi's ideas took shape, and the concept of satyagraha matured during this struggle.
And I would guess the hierarchy I suggested wouldn't have been fixed for every circumstance, particularly earlier on in his life/"development", but it does seem to be a kind of rule of thumb, doesn't it? It seems to have become more important to him later in his life.

Gambarimashyo!