View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #15
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: high punch?

Quote:
Tim Casady wrote:
An analogy is in order. I know someone who is a prison guard, and the guards periodically train with weapons. The training is either done with targets that are stationary or with targets that move in a predictable manner. The target does not mimic the unpredictability of a moving human target, and yet the guards still develop proficiency in their shooting skills.

I find that this is similar to the situation when uke attacks me with shomen uchi, yokomen uchi, or munetsuki. These attacks can be frustratingly predictable, just like shooting range targets can be frustratingly predictable. However, there's a lot of room for a person on a shooting range to develop their skill, even if the targets don't move like a real attacker would. There's a lot of room for nage to develop his skill, even if uke sometimes moves in ways different from what a real attacker would.

Every martial art training situation makes some compromise with reality, even at schools that seek 'no holds barred' situations. Even something as brutal as boxing makes compromises with reality, since the boxing gloves limit what your hands can do. It's understandable and worthwhile to seek realism in one's training, but there's never a perfectly realistic training situation. (The only completely realistic way to practice defending your life is to face people who are actually trying to kill you.)
I agree with all of your statements and still do not understand clubs which choose not to practice with so simple attacks such as all common punches and prefer to stay ONLY with the traditional attacks (Training those does have some benefits).

Amir