View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
genin
United_States
Re: Personal space issues

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I can't imagine a good outcome from that. Even when someone else has failed to act with restraint, or has violated boundaries, an adult is expected to modulate his/her response, not engage in a childish form of retaliation (which, it seems to me, is how this is almost certain to be viewed). Maybe the best thing to do is ask yourself what outcome you want for the situation, and then evaluate your possible responses by questioning whether they bring you closer to that desired outcome, or take you further away from it.
That's a sensible thing to do, sure. This whole thing reminds me of road rage incidents. You can't prevent people from driving stupid or road raging you, but sometimes you have to make a stand when you are violated or threatened. I knew chasing down the guy who cut me off and confronting him in a parking lot was not going to have a beneficial outcome, but I still chose to do that because I felt he needed the lesson. Sometimes, you just have to pick a person and make an example of them, otherwise one person after the next will continue to victimize you.