View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Injured rib

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
I want to resume training as soon as possible, but I've been reading up about rib injuries and in general the message seems to be that it probably takes about two months to heal. I've only skipped one lesson before this and I can't bear the thought of having to skip 16 lessons!
I am just now coming back to the dojo after a 2 month hiatus due to an injury. Listen to your doctor. If you can't train, go and watch. You will be amazed at the things you pick up on that you wouldn't notice otherwise.

Is it frustrating? Certainly. Is it worth it? I say yes. I trained almost four months with my injury and put up with the pain. I adjusted things so it didn't hurt as bad and just limped my way home and put ice on it. Was that the smartest choice? Looking back, I say no. Now I am trying to get over the strange habits I gained from not wanting to hurt my foot. It is harder to break those habits then I thought it would. If I had went to the doctor right away, my healing time would have been cut drastically, I wouldn't have been miserable and I wouldn't have these habits I am now trying to break. Not to mention, I still have pain!!!

It is a tough choice, but you have to think of things in the long run. What is going to be best for YOU in the long run? Do you want a chronic injury that never really heals? Mary and Janet really helped me put things in perspective and in the end.... they were right.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.