Thread: Ribs...
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2002, 03:06 PM   #13
Kevin Wilbanks
Thanks. That's a lot of questions. I'll write for a few minutes, then you may have to reiterate ones that I missed.

In general, if you progressively load body parts above a certain threshhold, and allow for adequate recovery (time, rest, nutrition), all of the tissues become stronger: bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, etc... I would guess that if you perceive a difference in the durability or toughness of your joints, this is probably mostly a result of the development of muscle strength. Strength and muscle size are not the same, but are related, however, there are different categories/types of 'strength' that describe different muscle and movement pattern adapatations, and have to be trained differently. Size is a generic adaptation that is broadly applicable - a muscle's ability to contract increases with cross-sectional area. Other adaptations are more specific and either neurological, or relate to improvements in the muscle's energy supply.

Isometric strength means being able to hold a certain position (i.e., self resisted, no movement). I take quasi-isometric generally to mean being able to maintain an approximate position, and resist dynamic challanges to that hold. Development of this kind of strength in the shoulder girdle is essential in Aikido, to create a strong connection between upper limbs and torso, enabling efficient transmission/absorption of energy from core to extremities. Tenkan is a rudimentary example: one needs good isometric strength to maintain 'relaxed' scapulae position (i.e., neutral as opposed elevated and protracted (up around the ears)). In my view, this is not so much about literal 'relaxation' as having the strength to resist elevation and protraction of the shoulder girdle without undue strain.

To continue in an injury prevention vein - take the same shoulder issue and a forward roll. Even with proper form, there is a point where a large portion of the body's weight is loaded between the arm and the ground. At this point, the shoulder girdle musculature needs to be able to resist the force that threatens to retract and depress the scapulae, and the deltoid needs to be able to keep the humerus from folding in toward the body - this is all quasi-isometric.

As far as relevant training goes, I would prescribe what I call "focus pushups" to start. This is a pushup where feedback is used (video or partner) to ensure that one is performing the pushup with virtually no scapular movement. Another good exercise is the Russian Twist with cable resistance - basically a tenkan with both hands on the handle of a resistance cable, maintained in the center of the body.

For people whose arm collapses in the forward roll, I have also found proprioceptive/kinesthetic cues can help with learning what stabilizing the shoulder 'feels like' on the mat, and 'wake up' the relevant muscles to their new job. I have the person hold their arm in a forward roll position, then apply resistance to the forearm with my hand (simulating the ground), and have them push against it a few times immediately before attempting a roll - then I tell them to try to replicate that feeling during the roll.

The kind of people who I think need supplemental conditioning to Aikido practice is everyone. Even if you aren't currently having problems, an intelligent conditioning program will increase your resistance to injury, athletic capacity, and make training more enjoyable. The kind of people who really need it are people who are overweight, lacking in overall strength, stamina, and vigor, or anyone who is experiencing injury problems from 'normal' Aikido practice. In some cases, the deficiencies may warrant a layoff period to focus just on conditioning without the Aikido interfering with planned recovery. It all depends on the individual.

Gotta go for now.

Kevin Wilbanks, CSCS