View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #30
salim
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Gee...(sigh)... Aikido doesn't fit with evolution. Ringing the same bell here, but Aikido is a complete martial art. Adding in other techniques like in the clip that fit well coming off of Aikido is because Aikido is complete. It is not evolution. Just because MMA, (BJJ at it's core, and Judo at BJJ's core) has become a popular sports venue doesn't mean absorbing Aikido technique to MMA evolves Aikido. Why not say it is the other way around and say MMA is in a continued evolution. An evolution from the ground to standing, to be more like Aikido? MMA really is a mix of older fighting styles mostly from Japanese martial arts, and some boxing and street fighting all organized into one venue.

Aikido when added to MMA to work in MMA venue is adding to a repertoire of moves. Aikido was never designed or intended for a MMA venue. Aikido has a different philosophy, and it isn't about sports competition. It isn't about being paid to fight. I find allot of people over look that. If you really study the origins of Aikido and it's philosophy you see that it is an art form that you have to look at the whole package. You can't cleave off a technique here or their and call it Aikido. It doesn't work that way. You can't reduce Aikido that way, or any other art form.

You can take Aikido techniques and add other martial arts too it and you have your own style. Several people have, and created some successful styles of Aikido. Even Aikido was the result of other arts, and influences. But that isn't evolution, it is being creative. Voila, the category of martial art and not sport.

It isn't a matter of evolution, it is a matter of growth in more than one area. That is why I call it a complete art. The challenge of Aikido sticking with Aikido, having the belief in Aikido, the confidence in Aikido, the effort to go the distance to reap the benefits, the awards it offers. Aikido is an art, an expression, a spiritual journey, and a cultural experience. Evolution happens here within Aikido, the opportunity for personal growth.

That doesn't go over with the young eager guys who want to prove they are fighters. The guys who just focus on that one climaitic short moment of victory. For them is what they are all about. But there is more then a quick climatic rush, like in the art of romance for example. With romance, like Aikido, it takes years to appreciate, and embrace, that long slow passionate beautiful dance.

What I said ties in to the thread "What comes after Aikido" http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14958
Philip,

I respect your honesty and the love you have for Aikido. I certainly respect those who want Aikido to reflect Japanese religious, cultural views. This is where we draw the line. To many of the early practitioners, direct students of O'sensei felt compelled to evolve their Aikido to another level. This is why we have Yoshinkan, Yoseikan and others. Those well respected Aikidoka, felt there was something lacking and added to their Aikido. Kenji Tomiki, Gozo Shioda and Minoru Mochizuki definitely and often spoke about the deficients within the modern Aikido movements. Sometimes they would ridiculed the Aikikai/Ki approach altogether. Even individuals within Aikikai as an organization have had methodology differences, so it's nothing new.

To many Aikidoka, especially those within the Aikikai organization want to pinpoint or make preconceived accusations that any Aikidoka who wants to incorporate BJJ/Jujutsu are some how sport MMA enthusiast. There could be nothing further from the truth. Just because an Aikidoka wants to incorporate some form of Jujutsu, does not mean he/she is an advocate for sport MMA. I myself like to use what is useful, what works for me and my body type and remove what is not useful. For me it's all about self defense and having fun while learning.

Again, I draw the line within our fundamental, methodology of Aikido. I refuse to accept the religious aspects of O'sensei's spiritual beliefs and feel it's not necessary to be an Aikidoka practitioner. I have my own religious orientation. I do however respect the founders religious belief, but do not incorporate those principles to my Aikido. Many practitioners of the Tomiki, Yoshinkan and Yoseikan hold the same sentiment. I view martial arts from an athleticism perspective. Good clean, healthy fun that brings about great social interactions and maybe the development of a new friendship. Aikido can be physically, very healthy, especially for those who are older, but still enjoy some type of physical activity. It's a great way to stay in shape, very much like BJJ. Learning body coordination, new ways to use your body in ways you didn't know before is great martial exploration.

All martial arts have something athletically to offer. All martial arts have limitations. Aikido has some self defense limitations and deficients that need to be either complimented with some other art, or removed so that one can adjust to a real life self defense situations. I believe in good health, healthy eating and religious beliefs, for those who want religion are all good positive aspects to a full, healthy lifestyle.

I would say, the youth are our future and are usually not closed minded to evolving the arts in general. They are the ones, with whom persons such as myself look to for healthy martial growth. I use Roy Dean as a classical example, only to suggest that he is one who explores the possibilities and doesn't allow the arts to stagnate. He allows one to discover who they are within the realm of self defense. Always professional, always willing to assist and share, truly a class act. We need more individuals like him to help foster a positive movement of evolving Aikido.

Last edited by salim : 08-17-2008 at 06:46 PM.