View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 05:45 PM   #21
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Brother in law or Hammer?

What is the big deal here?

It makes not one bit of difference if someone attacks you with a hammer, with a chainsaw, or with a wooden stick like we use in practice ... either you get hurt or you do not.

From what I read, there is a fear factor of having someone attack you in a moment of relaxation, a moment of weakness?

Tough!

If they hurt you because of inaction, you will be somewhere between hurt and dead.

If you learn to use movement, timing, deflection, use of either manipulations with hands or feet, you have a pretty good chance of avoiding injury to yourself or your attacker no matter what weapon they have ... if they are within arms length that is.

If not ... well then ... I guess someone is gonna get get hurt. Get over it. Life is too short to worry about the inevitable, and some of this question borders on paranoia ... I would know, it is part of what I have had to deal with in Meniere's disease and its episodes.

The fact that any type of attack is immiment is based upon your own awarenes, what you hear, what you sense, what you see. Don't spend your whole life worrying about someone breaking into your house and stabbing you to death or killing your family. Take the proper precautions, accept the liabilaty, and live with it.

As far as any secret training method, or secret trick ... train to speed up your reflexes, you timing response, and learn as many options as possible so you don't have to think when it is time to react.

I don't know why we even get into this type of question, except that some dojo's do not actually advance their training in the variety of other movements beyond our basic aikido that easily disarm, or take the legs out of an attacker with very little effort.

If you want to go that way, there are hundreds of self defense books out there to show you the mulitude of variations, but your reflexes are best served with training with other people. Learning to intercept motion when it is committed, not too early and not too late.

Gee ... Aikido practice does that, doesn't it?

Sorry to be so testy. But when the final answer to "will I get hurt or will I hurt someone else" comes, the only real answer is a shrug of the shoulders and "Oh, well...."