Old 01-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Canada
Re: New Girl On The Block

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
Yes,
Thanks. I guess my point was that Aikido as an art is more than the raw techniques but it is also the way they are applied including the body movement, philosophy, etc. Also, it is a training which has an internally consistent way of moving as an example. As a budo, it can also have various internal applications in a person's life.The other arts you mentioned art the same. It might be more accurate to say that you are part of an art called Jui Do Kai that uses techniques from Aikido, Jui-Jitsu, Oyama, Kyukoshinkai, and Tae Kwon Do. I am suggesting that there is no even blend of those arts. Just a mixing of techniques from those arts. I don't know about the other arts but it may be a question if Aikido can be "blended " in one person with many other "Arts" and still be Aikido.
Best wishes and welcome to the forum!

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not saying you are wrong. Aikido is something different to everyone, because we all have different perceptions. The spiritual side or philosophies of Aikido to me, is the same as the Tao, and therefore by precendent, seperate from Aikido, but part of it nonetheless, as Aikido evolved from Tao. Many of the internal applications of Aikido are not unique to Aikido.

You may be right in suggesting that it would be more accurate to say we use a mixture of techniques. But personally, I spend extra time with my Sensei (who is also my husband) on just Aikido. (As well as a few of the others) So for me to say it is an even blend, is not untrue, it is Jui Do Kai to my experience, and from my perspective.

When he teaches the students Aikido techniques, he teaches us to blend and see from the attackers view etc. He also teaches that these moves are not meant to harm, though they can, and can quite effectively. He teaches us one point and so on.

I'm not by any means trying to take away from Aikido, or water it down etc, I have the utmost respect for it. Neither is he, and he would do nothing but uphold it's reputation. But for me to accurately describe what it is we do, I would have to go on for weeks.

Thanks for the good wishes and warm welcome!

Kathy-Lynne