View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #48
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: Seishiro Endo Shihan - Montreal April 7 - 9 2009

Hey, I've never even seen the guy nor was I at that seminar or any other seminar of his -- I don't actually have an opinion on the CONTENT of your discussion. For all I know, I would have learned a lot and loved it, how would I know?

Quote:
It's a big difference whether one likes this prof or one likes that prof.
Or someone says: He's not worth do be called a prof. He has nothing to teach.
I actually did mean more like the latter feeling more than the former (although I haven't noticed anything as strong as that in this discussion, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention).

I've had conversations (e.g. in high school) where people said things like your second comment quite openly to other students, and discussed why the person was still teaching (Unions? Politics? We couldn't figure it out - I remember one teacher in particular. We just figured it's hard to fire teachers), even assuming their incompetence as a high school teacher was too obvious and extreme to be at all controversial, and being quite startled when talking to someone else years later and mentioning teachers from high school, hearing 'The best at that school was definitely Mr. ______. Oh my God he was so great -- he was my favourite teacher in all of high school -- it was like the only class that year I learned anything in! I wonder whatever happened to him?"

I thought that's just life, isn't it?