View Single Post
Old 11-30-2002, 10:00 PM   #24
Edward
Thailand
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aikido history

Quote:
Christopher Li (Chris Li) wrote:
In any case, watching a few demonstrations and the comments of a couple of Aikido folks is a lot different from "common knowledge
Point taken. I should have said "in my point of view" or something...

However, I do stand on my point that, eventhough many aikido techniques might come originally from DR, modern DR's softer and more circular approach to techniques has been very largely influenced by aikido, and by the ideas of Morihei Ueshiba. Why? Simply because they have been succesfull in appealing to a large public who is looking for a non-violent MA, while DR was on its way to be extinct. The formula works, so why not use it?

If you read Kondo Sensei's interviews without knowing his identity, you would think he is an aikido shihan. I do not think Sokaku Takeda would have shared his views.

This said, I would like to add that I myself am an admirer of modern DR because of its solid basics and large repertoire of techniques. I agree with Mr. Patel that knowing DR gives us aikidoka a much stronger foundation.

But it is important to give credit where it is due.

BTW, Christopher, I notice from your posts that you do not hold the aikikai and the Ueshiba family in great esteem. Is my observation right? And would you care to tell us the reason?