View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Internal Training Practices within the art of Aikido

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
... what you are referring to as "jing." ...
I am referring to jing as one of the so called "three treasures" jing, qi and shen: Essence, Breath and Spirit.

Quote:
... O-sensei was ... educated in Buddhism (as a kid) Omoto (as an adult) and DR (as an adult). Not Daoist temples, ...
Isn't Ueshiba well known for studying the chinese classics very intensively throughout his life? Did you know that the main godess of Oomoto kyo seems to be of daoist origin? ...
It is indeed striking when you compare the daoist texts with his words. A lot of his cryptic sayings simply become clear. Or clearer at least.

For me this interesting journey began, when I started to follow the theme of "heaven-man-earth" into the literature some time ago. My aikido book shelf became a new but fast growing segment with daoist texts since then.
And this journey also led me to a certain form of body work, that was once well known and discussed here in this forum ...

Because of my meagre skills and knowledge I am just an onlooker and not a protagonist. So no: I am not thinking, that what I do is similar in which way ever to what Ueshiba did.
But yes, I think that the daoist classics can help to understand how Ueshiba Morihei thought. And I think that a specific form of body work - that is originaly related to that context - can help to understand what he did.

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 05-16-2013 at 02:40 PM.