Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #47
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: Atemi waza: good or bad for Aikido?

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Hi Larry,
Atemi is implicit in every aspect of what we do in Aikido. Katate tori isn't an attack, it's a practice tool. It presupposes the strike with the other hand and people need to practice as if the other hand were doing that strike or they are totally open.
Yes, of course.

Quote:
If I grab you and you begin to take my balance, what reason do I have for holding on? Why don't I just let go and break the connection? It's the knowledge that I am open to your atemi that forces me to keep the grab once I've committed.
That's the way you do Aikido, but not me. Actually, that process has nothing to do with my Aikido, believe it or not. That's why I believe - there are many ways to do Aikido, and there is no One right way. Some people believe otherwise though.

Quote:
When I attack and you enter, why don't I just hunker down and plant so I cannot be moved? I am forced to stay responsive by the possibility of your atemi. Saotome Sensei said that if you knew the other guy wouldn't strike you, all techniques would be stoppable.
Not my experience.

Quote:
Every throw you do in Aikido is a strike you are choosing not to do. The strikes are at the heart of the logic behind the whole interaction. That does not mean that you necessarily see them. I seldom throw an atemi in practice... but my students seldom put me in the position that I need to.
I am very well aware of all the possibilties of striking in Aikido. But again, in my Aikido, the heart of the logic behind the whole interactgion has absolutely nothing to do with that.

A different way, my friend.

LN

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido