Thread: Moving to Japan
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #31
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Moving to Japan

Hi Jeremy

It looks like you have been given a lot to think about. It's no surprise that some experienced people are also countering each other's examples with exceptions. There are all kinds of situations you could end up in which is part of the adventure.

To the previous points I'd add that you'll want time to train, so even the IT job (with or without JLPT requirements) could be a problem if you have to work salaryman hours. Also:
  • You could look into becoming an uchi deshi until your money runs out then look for work after having had a decent stretch of immersion in Japan. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned visas. You could do this on the tourist visa for 3 months but a culture visa (requiring sponsorship from your teacher) would be better. You can then switch once you become a regular kayoi deshi (commuting student) with a job.
  • I imagine you must have a university degree anyway, but for the record, this is usually the requirement to apply for most work visas (especially teaching).
  • If you have any radiation fears, I'd avoid the hysteria and the conspiracy theories you find in some of the culture-fatigued blogs out there and check out the science of the situation.

Good luck