View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: The Second Coming

I liked this point:
Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Does the general in Afghanistan consult the Private in the regiment before deciding a course of action?
I'd like to add that aikido comes from a "respect culture" with often misunderstood concepts like the tatemae - bad examples and misinterpretations can become the norm outside of that context. Francis Shihan seems to see the need for a cultural connection, although I wouldn't say someone didn't have that connection just because they hadn't been to Japan. It goes both ways. Even the founder travelled overseas to extend the "Silver Bridge".
Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
How often have I had to endure listening to a Japanese person tell me that I would never understand the Founder's Aikido, simply because I "was not Japanese". The Founder never told me that.
That is reassuring.
Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
The vast body of those having Nidan and higher, have never, and will never go to Japan or see the Doshu. This number will unfortunately only increase exponentially over time.
I think more people do it now than in the past, but I agree that going all the way to a country like Japan isn't that easy for most. Luckily for those in the UK, Doshu sensei will be in Cardiff soon.