View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #45
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Effectiveness of Aikido

I also dislike the notion that studying aikido instead of mma somehow automatically makes you a better human being. I think that's hogwash and basically a thinly veiled ingroup/outgroup division built on a house of cards when, frankly, there's things that people from both camps can learn from each other.

Think of it this way, it's best to not be like the guy that goes to church who therefore feels like they then are entitled to be an arse the rest of the time. Just training in aikido doesn't mean that 1) You are spiritually superior to anybody. 2) You can use your skills in real self-defense situations (i.e. Steven Seagal movies are just movies) 3) You get any kind of free pass to speak in flowery language/metaphor and expect anyone to understand you.

I enjoy training aikido, but honestly examining what you're training for and the subsequent results that the training yields is also a worthwhile endeavor (and no falling back on "My sensei says", either -- at some point you need to work it out for yourself).

Okay, so it's Monday morning, I'm cranky and I haven't had my coffee . . .

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com