View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #16
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Re: What happens AFTER the pin?

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Don't let him up until he sings along with you!

Or perhaps, "Hey buddy, howya doin'. I'm not really familiar with these rules. If you try to mug me and fail, do I get your money?"
That's probably the best one-liner to a mugger that I've ever heard!

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
I really hope it is some kind of surrealistic joke, otherwise you are in a serious trouble.

1.Stop dreaming about fighting, aikido has nothing to do with fight.

2.You will never catch somebody in aikido pin in street situation -- well, may some school child or real looser, otherwise forget it.Street situation is whole other Univers then aikido dojo.
Sorry to inform you, Szczepan, put Terry Dobson would disagree, I imagine.

At the one and only seminar of his I had the pleasure to attend, he related a story of a woman who used an ikkyo pin to foil a purse-snatcher (pinned his arm to her car)...after she had only been training six months!

Now, I'll grant you that the pin probably didn't look anything like a nice, neat dojo-pin. But I question that there are no street-applications to Aikido-pins.

They just need realtime modifications to fit the situation, IMO.

Quote:
3.Aikido pins are not designed to hold somebody for more then 1-2 seconds. These pins are not 'user friendly' pins, not for attacker and not for defender.
I haven't a clue where you get this idea. Come to my dojo and we'll test it out...I'll pin you and I'll give you 10 seconds to get up.

Sure, some ppl are able to use force/wriggle out of my pins. But, that was because I didn't want to cause bodily harm to uke, in a lot of cases. Uke tries to roll over out of an ikkyo pin: and I could easily put the whole weight of my knee on his elbow, and pull his hair with my close hand. Not pretty, but effective.

Quote:
4.The only realistic pin is a chock
A "chock?" What is this? Oh...you mean a choke! Sorry...understanding dawns.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 01-05-2007 at 06:28 PM.