View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #1547
kewms
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

I certainly agree that it is possible to apply aikido effectively against larger people. I do it all the time.

But I think you're deluded if you don't think size matters in the context of "on the street" encounters with people who are seriously trying to hurt you.

Under dojo randori conditions, my experience is that when two people have equal skill/rank, a weight difference of 30-40 pounds or so is sufficient to secure a strong advantage for the heavier person. Each additional 30-40 pounds is sufficient to overcome a 2-3 step differential in rank, at least in the mid-kyu to mid-dan range. (Keep in mind that most adult males will outweigh me by at least 40 pounds, and even a 100# difference does not put us into the realm of genetic freaks. I have a lot of experience in this sort of situation.)

However, the lighter person can substantially improve the situation *if* they avoid situations conducive to grappling: I can throw or otherwise disengage from a much larger person than I can pin. So the lessons I take from this are:
* Disengage and get out of there. Trying to kick someone's ass is really dumb.
* Stay aware. It's easier to disengage if they never get a secure grab in the first place.
* Don't get cute. Simple techniques and big muscle movements. Fine motor coordination is very difficult in the middle of an adrenaline dump.

Katherine