View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Other arts in the dojo?

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
In sparring, of course, you can't consciously say which you are doing. You can't even consciously decide what techniques to do; I've had some Aikido techniques try to "pop out" during low intensity practice sparring. But it was refelxive -- I have no idea what I did.
I sort of agree with you. I always know what I'm trying to do when i'm sparing, what I'm trying to setup and what I did to get there. However the line between "this is judo" or "this is TKD" or "This is boxing" is just not there. I can say, "I see an opening for a punch and I took it" but I can't say "I did a punch I learned from my TKD teacher". Maybe that is what you ment, but my reflexes are usually very subdued. I find they get me more into trouble then out of it. I've been training for over 10 years and my brain still screams "back up and cover up" when someone tries to hit me. However instinct is still drilled into my skull. For example, I just realized while writing that last part that I never throw a single punch. I always throw a combo. That is instinct from training and I can tell you its a boxing thing. So I guess there are no hard and fast rules there :-)

We just got word that the judo instructor will be teaching at our club, i'm really excited this means I can train in the same place for all my loves now (judo, bjj, mma), hopefully he is able to promote rank in the usja so I can finish my black belt. I want to open my own club some day.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein