View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #19
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Hasso no Kamae

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Shoji Nishio shows this kind of positioning and flow in his turning cuts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBCcj...elated&search=

He cuts in the first three seconds -- turning underneath an uke nagashi (another one of one of the happo giri variations, BTW) and coming to that modified hasso position to perform the te giri. In the last four seconds he flows from an upward do or mune cut, through a turning uke nagashi again and then again through the modified hasso for the cut. In neither case does he raise to jodan. In fact, even his hasso is darn near seigan with the tsuka.
That isn't hasso, he's just cutting back down along the path he cut up through. Totally different.

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
In this you can see it in a somewhat more abbreviated form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6fey...elated&search=
Although the view is blocked somewhat by uchitachi's body, the view is actually in line with his final cut so you can see that the sword never comes to jodan and stays on his left side (gyakku hasso) until he flows into the final cut.
Hmmmmmm..

I was taught both of those forms by Minouru Kurita Sensei (who studied sword with Nishio Sensei while he was an uchideshi under OSensei) as part of Seiki Ryu 'kenjutsu' and there is no hasso no kamae going on there. There are some yokomen giri/kesagiri movements. But I think it would be a huge leap (and a mistake) to associate any of those movements with hasso no kamae. It's clear his arms are extended (not bent as is necessary to be in hasso no kamae) throughout those movements. Cutting across the body does not amount to a kamae.

In the second clip, he never comes anywhere close to being in hasso. Hasso kamae has the blade pointing back behind the head, edge forward, but nearly vertical. That's not what's going on there. Don't mistake an abbreviated yokomengiri with hasso no kamae, they are very different beasts.

Last edited by ChrisMoses : 04-19-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu