View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 10:43 PM   #3
Kevin Wilbanks
At my old school, 'teaching' or talking on the mat when not the class leader was frowned upon and discouraged. Here, it's necessary and generally encouraged.

I don't think you have quite grasped the lack of enormity of the situation: there is no dojo, this is wrestling mats in a raquetball court.

In terms of warmups, the senior student explicitly told me that she preferred someone, including me, to start warmups on time. On time is the priority.

I'm curious about your views. You think it is more rude for someone with 5 years experience to correct a beginner's hand position (who is obviously hesitating and showing confusion) than for the beginner to halt training, call 'hey sensei' across the mat, and insist on trying to prove the more experienced student wrong on such an elementary point?

As far as the 'not demonstrated' point - is this generally considered as some sort of egregious offense? If I'm concentrating on the initial part of the technique, and I just use whatever pin feels natural at the end, is it really a beginner's job to disdainfully and obliquely correct me?

As far as the email issue goes, I agree that in-person is better, but he disappeared at the end of the class. I emailed right when I got home - it seemed the most immediate and direct option. Even if using email is some sort of faux pas, what is ignoring the email?

If my behaviors are wrong in the context of the dojo, I have no problem with learning and adapting. However, I expect to be communicated with directly and respectfully, at least. My impression is that this student may have formed his own idiosyncratic ideas of what is proper and has taken to expressing his disapproval in very strange ways. Another possibility is that I have inadvertantly done something to offend, hurt, or insult him, but because he refuses to communicate, I have no idea what it might be.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 08-05-2002 at 10:47 PM.