View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #21
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Breath, Aikido & Misogi

Quote:
Keith Lee wrote:
Yeah, I hear you Ron.

And I'm not trying to be down on these guys or stifle discussion or anything. Just sharing my opinion. I've been around the country and North of the border plenty and trained at a lot of different dojos & different styles. I've trained with folks whose main emphasis and focus was on ki and breathing etc.

It's not bad per se, but it's not what I consider to be good Aikido or good training. It would be one thing if all the ki exercises/breathing/whatever was done in addition to good hard training; good basics, balance, posture, etc. Now I've only been to maybe 3-4 'ki type' schools but they all have left a bad taste in my mouth, as well as every 'ki' sort of Aikido clip I've seen on the web. I'm not discounting it at all but I, personally, have never seen people with what I know to be solid fundamental basics in dojos such as I've described or in the vidoes I've seen on the Web.

I'm not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't seen it. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong either.

Cheers,
Ummmmm.... I've been to a few Ki schools as a visitor, but I didn't see what I was looking for... and I don't think any of us were discussing Ki schools. We're discussing how the real stuff is done, regardless of school. As I noted earlier, I left Aikido because I couldn't find the information I wanted among the New Age practitioners and the "technique" practitioners who already knew everything and weren't interested in even discussing. it.

It doesn't take but a few videos for you to realized that both O-Sensei and Tohei both spent a lot of time demonstrating their Ki abilities (well, it was mostly kokyu, but that falls under the heading of Ki). I'm not sure why someone doing Aikido wouldn't be interested in the subject, frankly. But each to his own.

Mike