View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #57
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Aikido and kicks

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
Boon, re take their balance on the kick - agree with you up to a point, but the problems in achieving this with an experienced kicker are great, especially if they keep to the low kicks or use short knee jabs when in close.
Ian,
A skill person in anything will definitely make the counter difficult, it is a universal law.

Try these drills and see how well they work out, OK.

1) To work on counter to knee jabs. Start with clinch. Don't look at your opponents' knee, look at his eyes or even close your eyes. Feel his body movement or shift. when you feel his balance shift, move your body (tai-sabaki) and apply principle of kuzushi. For example, your partner lifts up his right knee at you aiming your lower abdomen, shift your hips slightly either to the right or left and unbalance him just as his power begin to surge, nipping at the bud I would call it.. Sure you may get hit sometimes, but in training always start slow.

2) A low kick jab is a very logical application of kick. It is straight forward, almost unseen and very fast. Again, you have to look at his body balance shift. When someone wants to kick, he will/must shift his balance to the leg which will support the kicking leg. By watching his body shift, you can prepare/know which leg will be doing the kick. A straight leg jab is limited by the length of the kicker's leg and its recoil time. Shift your body movement to avoid the initial kick, and when he is recoiling, enter and apply the atemi-waza type tech with proper application of kuzushi.

I try my best to put my application to words, if it is not clear, I apologize as it very difficult to transform the action into words.

I have tried these principles on my fellow dojo mates and so far they work, but I have no Olympic TKD kicker nor Pro-Muay Thai fighter at my dojo to work on, so I will only say this work as far as general MArtist are concern.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.