View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
SmilingNage
United_States
Re: "Larger Named Youngest US Second-Degree Aikido Blackbelt&qu

I glanced over this earlier this morning and filed it under the "none of my business" file. But it did sound suspect to me. But after seeing some posts, I got drawn in. So sit and deal with my 2 cents worth( which in the current economy is worth even less now now)

There are many aspects of the article and situation I don't agree with. The obvious, awarding a Nidan to someone who has only trained for 6 yrs and only being 16 yrs old to boot. I am for lengthy periods between testing. This allows students to stew in the teachings of that each rank. Just because you have the days in doesn't mean you are ready to test. The student may be physically gifted but in my opinion still needs time to let the lessons sink in. More importantly to learn to make the techniques his own.

The aikido program in question is a community based recreation program that meets twice a week for 2 hrs a class. A mere 16 hrs of instruction a month. My question would be just how much training, absorption can be gained out of such limited training time. Bare in mind, I am not knocking the aikido program because it is rec. based. The instructor is a 5th dan and on the board of directors of JAA. According to JAA testing requirements shodan can be reached the roughly around 2 yrs and another 2 yrs to make Nidan. So 6 yrs to get Nidan is possible for JAA students.

Link for the comm. aikido http://www.ci.vandalia.oh.us/uploads...0Rec_Guide.pdf

JAA website

http://www.tomiki.org/index.html

For what it is worth, not knowing the situation or the people in involved, it seems this was more for public attention for the program. His promotions seemed rushed. And going for his sandan before college makes this all seem like a race for rank. I am not a fan of this type of promotion.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.