View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Quote:
Robert Roeser wrote: View Post
Actually the government can't just intercept your emails without your ISP, or mail provider turning them over.
I was once in a university class with an exchange student who was a fighter pilot for another country.

He was very casual about what all his country's intelligence agency could do.

A young and very pretty woman in the class challenged him saying, there were limits on things, he couldn't do all that.

The guy said, "If we want, we can get a picture of you in your shower," and she shut up.

I said, "How could you do a thing like that?" I'm thinking hiding a camera in her bathroom or something. The girl just looked at me with daggers but didn't say anything else.

It finally dawned on me many years later that she shut up because he had already taken a picture of her in her shower...and he was just letting her know that..."we have ways..."

So, uh....how hard is it to get stuff off an ISP, do you really think?

Quote:
You can always encrypt whatever you are doing anyway. Elliptic curve cryptography (it uses a logarithm function of an elliptic curve instead of just a large primes) is unbreakable without quantum computers, and RSA encryption using large primes isn't exactly easy either. If we had too we could always do what the Chinese do and just use VPN, or SSH to circumvent government monitoring.
That still doesn't mean they can't get in your bathroom--or get someone else in there.

Quote:
The fact that some people believe in death panels has nothing to do with free speech, and the right to privacy.
Sure, I believe in the right to privacy, but to be harping on that after eight years of Bush is really way over the hill. Any sense of privacy on the internet should be practically considered a fantasy.

But the relation to death panels is that this whole thread is based on propaganda coming out of the "Tea Party" bunch, that ties up all those right-wing fear machine issues including death panel baloney, birther hype and the stockpiling of guillotines to let the goverment get rid of good patriotic right-wingers and efficiently harvest their organs (and that is not hyperbole: there are groups preaching this nutty stuff and they float on the effluence of the tea baggers):

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/politics/story/74549.html

So there are honest issues about the internet, but this thread does not reflect them. This is "birther" internet paranoia.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com