View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #37
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: My dark side and aikido

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I wonder how common this is. It's a widely-held belief among non-martial artists -- I'm sure we've all heard some version of, "Oh, you do martial arts, I bet that's a really great way to get your aggressions/frustrations out." But I've never felt anything remotely like this, and I've always thought that it was a misconception. Am I wrong about this?
I wouldn't describe it as an 'itch', which I think of as more applying to the 'fun' that Dexter mentioned, but I have certainly had the overwhelming urge on numerous occasions to use my fists to destroy people and/or things, and I'd be surprised to learn that very many men I've met haven't had it, even if they haven't expressed it.

That feeling scared me. That and witnessing other people in my life yielding to such an urge is exactly what It's what brought me to the martial arts as a teen.

I'd say that people train for many different reasons (including me), but dealing with aggression and frustration and can be a very real part of many people's training, albeit not usually all the time.

Best,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."