Thread: Aikido attacks.
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Aikido attacks.

I have read many opinions on the way of attacks in aikido, the tsuki etc. So many saying that the 'hanging the arm out there' is wrong, is not in any other martial art, is ridiculous, is..............

Too many reasons yet in my view not enough understanding.

As usual the justifications come in as to why such attacking is unreal and some even go as far as to say 'limp' and ineffective. Oh yea of little faith is what I say.

The first point that is continually brought up is commitment, the idea that such attacks are not committed attacks. Another fallacy I say due to once again a lack of understanding of Aikido.

Now it takes time to develop and be able to do such an attack whilst keeping center and at the same time extending Ki or power through but nonetheless the attack is a tsuki or shomen or yokomen etc.

There is no need to compare to boxing or anything else that bounces too and fro or jostles in and out or thrusts and counter thrusts or ducks and weaves or anything really, no need at all. For they are not Aikido and the attacks in Aikido are unique and unique for a reason. Does anyone know what that reason is?

Once again I am going out on a limb here, (limb being the operative word ha, ha) but this time I am not going to say what the reason is but leave it as a question. So in summary I am saying the following:

1) Those attacks generally called hanging the arm out by the ill informed are correct as Aikido attacks.

2) The attacks in Aikido, namely the strikes, are done so for a reason and the way of striking in other arts is different for a reason.

3) Whether done at 3 miles per hour or fifty, with great power or without, it all fits the basic reason.

4) When it therefore looks 'unmartial' or indeed unreal then the majority of times that is due to not knowing or recognising this reason by the onlooker.

Thoughts?

Regards.G.