View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #14
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
All of the "attendant skills" (not just ki and kokyu extension primarily, but also ma-ai, timing, tai sabaki etc. etc.) come into play - I believe what some aikidoka refer to as "shuchu rokyu"?
Well, yes, but let me caveat that I consider "body skills" like ki, kokyu, etc., to be differentiable from "tactics and strategy skills" like ma-ai, timing, etc.
Quote:
I feel, the concept of "receiving power" also exists within aiki. At a base level, this can be a simple "sutemi" technique, where one mechanically "sacrifices" oneself. To me, sutemi is a kind of "receiving power" as well as the other attendant "meta-physical" interpretations of what "sacrifice" means.
IMO, we're talking about 2 different things because the use of power is quite different from that used in Aikido, but I take your meaning and I don't really disagree.
Quote:
As it should... as it should....even in a "traditionally external" MA, oh, for example, karate....?
No, I don't consider karate to go to this level of sophistication. I think that some of the Shaolin variants (which ultimately "karate" derives from) used this level of sophistication, without a doubt, though. That's just my opinion, though.

Mike