View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

I'm very much with Mary on her point of view. Signing your child up for a martial arts class is not a good way to handle a bully situation. In the long run it can prevent a situation, but it takes a long time no matte what style of martial art before the child will build the confidence and calm that discourage bullies.

I was sometimes bullied (small scale) in the lower grades. At age 12 I took up Karate. I couldn't split a piece of dry toast then, and I actually did not take Karate to 'kick but' or defend myself. I just liked it. But as luck would have it everybody saw *karate Kid' in the cinemas that summer, so since the word spread I was taking karate lessons the bullies seemed somewhat discouraged. So timing and impression is also an important factor.

When it come to the threat of physical injury to a growing body it is very difficult to set exact rules. It depends on the child, the way teaching is being done in that dojo and other factors. But of course judo, aikido and Jiu-jitsu will have higher risk of joint damage than karate, tae kwon do etc. Those on the other hand have other risks of damage during training.

The main thing is actually to find the best possible dojo/teacher combination in the area. One where you actually feel happy leaving your child for one to several hours every week. The actual art is of less importance. The teacher (role model) is the primary concern.

A typical soft style aikido "no answer" answer I'm afraid.

Hope it helps anyway.

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration