View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #31
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Aikido and Weapons: The Connection

Quote:
David Valadez wrote: View Post

By extension, folks that picture that MMA context, any/or any of its variants (i.e. absence of weapons, single fronts, single opponents, absence of irreversible consequences, absence of legal ramifications, etc.), also picture folks only attacking in emotionless, sober, measured, and by skilled means. When, in my context of experience, I have never seen anyone commit an act of violence, whether it be minor or major, that was not the opposite of these things. Again, in the MMA context, the measured and skilled "attack" is realistic, but in my context, it is never present.
This is a good example of what we, as martial arts practitioners tend to often overlook! It's important as martial artists for us to, at the very least, understand that other contexts exist.

Going a step further, we could accept the very real possibility that our system, Aikido, is applicable in a context other than what one might find in an MMA ring. Or in other words, isn't the best means of learning to fight unarmed, however has MUCH to offer martially.

Getting back to Michael's questions:
Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post

What impact does our understanding of the martial context of aikido have on our practices?

If we do not understand the martial context of our art, how can we genuinely develop the specific skills of that art?

If we accept the intimate relationship between aikido and weapons, what are the implications for a modern practitioner? (Think: Will aikido work in the cage?; But I don't carry weapons; I practice aikido to experience harmony of movement; etc.)