View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 AM   #172
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Ueshiba Morihei's power

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
I just know it's way beyond what anyone I currently know could do. Except maybe Dan Harden or Mike Sigman. Or someone who is like 6'5" or something....
Are we still talking about the clip that was posted earlier?

A shiho nage on a beginner and kokyu ho with two ukes? I've done those things countless times, and I certainly don't have any special power.

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
Again, you can't guess how able those men were. It was quite common for highly trained men to look awkward around Ueshiba. Very common.
But Morihei's students don't look awkward? It looks like typical aikido ukemi. You do realize that what you are seeing in that clip is cooperative practice. Look at how much better Morihei looks with his own students, while the awkward beginner is actually "harder" to throw. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
But it does show Ueshiba on a rooftop surrounded by US MPs. So can you give me reason to doubt the descriptions that he easily evaded them?
As for the move as the clip starts, that was undoubtedly the one Morihei liked to do where the uke encircle him then attack simultaneously and he enters behind one of them ending on the outside of the circle. What's interesting is that one of those MPs had good instincts and actually followed Morihei and ended behind him!

Guess that's at least four losses. No one's perfect…

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki