View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #178
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Jason Rudolph wrote: View Post
Agreed! However, that was Osensei that Shioda was speaking of after all and while most of us mortals strive to minimize the reliance on pain ( I know I have over the years)-- if pain does result, that doesn't make such an application of nikyo an inferior application. Perhaps less "interesting" to some but not inferior and perhaps just as effective depending like everything else on who is applying it and in what context.

Train Hard,
Jason
That's cutting hairs a little fine - if I hit you with a two-by-four is it "inferior" to performing XXX technique? Actually, the result might well be "superior", but I think that most folks in Aikido would characterize it as "inferior" to XXX technique.

My point was, the pain part is pretty easy, so why spend that much time on it? It's not about minimizing the pain - it's about which mechanisms you choose to explore.

I think that it's a mistake to say that because XXX teacher did it nobody else can. I think that everybody should hope and expect to do as well as their teachers. That may or may not actually happen, but why deliberately aim low?

Best,

Chris