Thread: Aikido sparing
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2016, 02:16 AM   #33
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: Aikido sparing

The best way to capture the "mind/body" of an opponent is to "express intent" in such a way that the other must respond or be struck forcefully. At the point of contact by maintaining a "sticky" feeling you can enter along the lines of flaw that have been created in their structure by having been forced out of their position. The simplest example of this is how O Sensei would create the conditions for ikkyo by initiating a shomen ate and then taking the defending arm..
There are both mechanical and energetic strategies in this approach but neither of them will work if you cannot read your opponent. As an example someone who has never been hit in the face in a fight will have very little flinch response, unlike , for example, a boxer who will have some response to even the slight raise of a shoulder. Most people will, however, respond to something coming at their face with sufficient noise or drama to get their attention on the threat. Mechanically this is often referred to in JKD and some Filipino arts as "attack by draw", in other words their response is the first step in a cascade of similar events drawing to an inevitable conclusion. Working with sticks and blades make these areas clearer.
Whilst sport sparring can sharpen reflexes, encourage a calm mind under pressure and provide the opportunity for exploring henka and kaeshi waza it very rarely seems to develop the essence of aikido, which IMO is an art that is all about creating a neutral sphere of absorption and propulsion according to the intent of the attacker. This should provide the aikido exponent with a range of force continuum from virtually no action (evasion) to deadly force (e.g. irimi nage with fa jin). Of course this is dependent upon how seriously a person trains, physically and mentally, with what kind of understandings and what level of intent.
Over the years I have experimented in my dojo with gloves and headgear but I am always left disappointed with the results. It may be useful for some people who have never been hit, but without scenario work as well the emotional component is missing. If you head down that road it may produce good self defense and even some good martial athletes, but will it improve Aiki do? I don't believe so.
I guess it all depends on what you want out of your training. I still think aikido is an enormously rich method for training but it won't teach you to fight unless you can use it freely. People often say can you use it against a resisting opponent. The answer is, why would you? Either remove their resistance by seeking emptiness, ( keep their mind occupied at the point of contact and enter elsewhere) or accentuate their resistance until it travels down the path of its own demise.
Anyway, it's all nice keyboard Budo 😉

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.