View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
JW

Re: Tadashi Abe and Kenji Tomiki and their criticism

Hi Joe and Tony-
Tony, if I understand you right, I think you are saying there is heavy amounts of jujutsu in Ueshiba's teachings, based on Iwama curriculum. I came from Iwama background, so I know a bit of what they do. And I know what they don't normally do-- that only took meeting a couple of folks who are good with jujutsu.

Iwama aikido consists of waza that are supposed to have continuous aiki, plus a couple joint locks thrown in.
That is very different from having LOTS of jujutsu skill.

Even just compare this Takumakai vid with aikido-- similar roots for sure. And we don't need to discuss how "good" the guys in this vid are. My point is only: if you are like Hisa Takuma, wanting to do jujutsu with aiki, you can do a lot more to someone than we do in aikido.

Anyway, my whole point was regarding what Tadashi Abe said, and why he might have said it (and see above, it was apparently in regard to Hombu not Iwama anyway). I thought maybe he was saying "you guys are being wimpy" because people were practicing flowing movements instead of kicking a$$. I am saying, he is right that they weren't being tough as can be. And maybe that was on purpose. Do I think those deshi are good, and tough guys, yes they could beat me up, but I am not Tadashi Abe!

And Joe, I hope this explains what I meant better. Basically:
-what did Abe mean
-was he correct in saying that
-and even if he was, does that mean only his way was the right way?