View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: Zen in the art of archery

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
I would add to Ron`s post that often "qualified scholars" writing about others` books often themselves have strong biases that cloud issues even further rather than making anything clearer. My advice is to read as much as one can and continually apply to one`s own experience.

Charles

Nice. It's always one of my most enjoyable experiences to have one person use anothers opinion to express disagreement.

I've read so many things over the years and have concluded one thing: Opinions are like ********...or better, every ******* has an opinion.

The opinions are even better when they're camouflaged in pedantic displays which serve to defend the source: an egocentric ********.

I read nearly all the 30! pages of Yamada's. I thought he made some good points. At this time, I'm not taking the book as a wholly reputable source. However, I was at that point before.

I didn't think too much about the "shot in the dark." Nor do I think too much about Ueshiba "dodging bullets."--I will not say neither happened, but I just don't give it any consideration...it doesn't matter to me.

However, my dojo experience of 'a student walking in arrogant and then becoming insecure' was in-line with the book. Further, the style of instruction he claimed to receive is also in-line with my experience. In addition to that, his description of the attitudes of the Japanese students would fit the American students I've seen who do the best in the style I study.

I've also got this itch. I watched a video of a monk in (I believe) Brazil who set himself on fire and didn't appear to even flinch while he burned to death (I guess it was during the Eva Parone (sp?)period and he was protesting). Now, people can rip on the book. But, if that monk can do that, then I think that says something for the religion (which I'm certain was Buddhism). A person can tear into the guy's credibility, but I prefer to look at the conclusion and see if it fits with my experience.

In this case, a lot of what the book says fits my experience.