View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #106
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Standing Postures in Aikido?

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I don't agree. There are some very helpful basic things that can be pointed out to people who are looking for a toehold. However, the general rule in martial arts seems to be to get a little knowledge and act like it's a lot... doling out peanuts while thinking it's gold by both the giver and the givee.
I am sure you would agree that one can only base his thinking upon that to which he has been exposed. You seemingly have revealed quite a bit about how you found things in the martial arts circles within which you find yourself. However, I have had the complete opposite experience.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Actually, that description is just as clear as all the rest of the descriptions in the list. No one can do anything on any list, yours or Wards, if they don't know how to do them. The "…you must concentrate and imagine that you are breathing in the Ki of the Great Universe..." is extremely important because it tells me that O-Sensei was doing a Buddhist-derived qigong of the type derived from the Yi Jin Jing.
That may be what it tells you, but in and of itself it really doesn't give any clear instruction. Of course, you can't possibly realize what it was that O-Sensei thought of such a breathing exercise, even had he been using it in the first place. O-Sensei did leave clear instructions within the doka. However, like you say, one would have to have the background in, and clearly understand the practices of other things to reap the benefits of what is contained within.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
But you have to know how to do the breathing or it's just an imagination drill. I seriously would wonder, if I were you, if you're being shown everything. No offense, but I've learned over many years that the assumption is that one is NOT being shown everything.
Agreed. and like I have said in other places, it is all breathing. However, don't take that statement at face value. It only means that until one understands the breathing, not much else is really possible. Eventually, one gets beyond breathing - completely.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
There is often the imagined scenario that someone is saying about the occasional foreign student, "At Last he is here! Now I can reveal it all because I have waited my whole life for this yagi-no-mei to arrive... he is like my son!".
Well, I never claimed to be that in the least. I am very clear that there is no one out there waiting for me. I have no natural talent, I am lazy, and I am mean and nasty and difficult to be around. However another teacher of mine, one who predates my aikido training gave me a wonderful piece of advice which I have followed since that day. He said, "Shaun, since you will never change, why not turn your nagative qualities around and make them work for you." I guess that is what had me happen to be in the right places at the right time. In any case, Abe Sensei doesn't seem to mind - too much!

Abe Sensei, in particular has a very clear feeling about foreigners, Americans in particular. He advised O-Sensei not to come to America (Hawaii). This makes his choice to teach Americans an interesting one, and knowing why has one truly understand how great of a teacher he really is.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
It doesn't happen like that, no matter how friendly someone is.
Well, I think at the very least we can extrapolate from your statement that it has not happened to you. Or has it?

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.