View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #104
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Standing Postures in Aikido?

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
The Asian view though is that all four directions of power originate in the middle so the down-power is considered also "from the dantien". In the air, I can generate power downward with a trained impulse; there are several ways to do that impulse, but without seeing the demo you mentioned, I'm not going guess what was used.
Thank you for the overview.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
And I'm not "postulating" anything, Shaun... I can do it. In terms of trying to tell you how that power is stored and released, I'm not even going to try to do it with the printed word. You have enough information to work on; what you need is someone to show you how.
Again, when I say postulate, I mean it only in terms of communicating your point of view on the subject. I have no doubt that you can do this, that is why I asked.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
What you miss from my perspective, Shaun, is that these things I'm telling you have an obvious logic to them. I've said that before on other threads. I said something like "If A = B" and "If B = C", then A must equal C. It's that obvious. It's like also if I know that someone knows "A" and that the only way he can know "C" involves him understanding "B" , then claims to know "C" while showing total ignorance of "B" tell me that he cannot know "C". I.e, I can gauge what people know by what they show they know and what they show they don't know.
Yes, while your logic is sound here, your conclusions are not. Just because someone shows ignorance of a subject, doesn't mean he does not know it. However, I agree with you on the basics of how to approach it.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Many of the things I've said have been throw-outs to start discussions, but along the way I could spot things that people could NOT know, as well. That's why I've suggested that you simply engage in descriptive dialogue and quit intimating useable knowledge.
Well, to be honest I don't believe that any level of descriptive dialogue will do anything outside of confuse people at best, alienate people next, or even worse... For example the article about misogi that Ward Rafferty put out is interesting to me on several levels. If you compare his and mine (the one Ron Tisdale pointed out) you will see that at one level they are the same, albeit there are some minor differences in the physicality of how things are done. However, he then adds much more descriptive things, such as. "…you must concentrate and imagine that you are breathing in the Ki of the Great Universe..." which seems like additional knowledge, but in fact is anything but that. I hear this stuff all the time, quoted in, and worse from multiple sources, and passed along as though it is helpful, or really what O-Sensei was doing, imagining or otherwise. I have discussed this with Abe Sensei at length and his view is well known to those close to him.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Knowing the *steps* in Misogi is like knowing the steps in any qigong... it won't do you any good without understanding those basic principles that link all qigongs, including Misogi practices.
Agreed, and that is why it is a pointless endeavor to attempt to extend the conversation beyond the basics here.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
It is always interesting to compare notes, but we all have to feel out what the common level is before we can establish a common dialogue. I'd suggest that you and any other Aikido "experts" who have useable knowledge make an effort to share any real information you have on forums like this one.
Well, I am no aikido expert, and never claim to be, on the internet or in person. I may know a few, and I may have access to them at some level, but I think that you will still find there is a strong protocol in approaching them. One has to go through the steps, regardless of how long that may take, or how hard it may seem.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
You're not going to get many fluke outsiders like me that will tolerate the flummery, so you need to start the habit of open, useful sharing that gets beyond the petty bickering and egos.
Who is looking for outsiders to tolerate anything? Come inside and stop being an outsider. There is no one here trying to judge you, but we are finding it dificult to know what your agenda is when in one moment you say this…
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Shaun, this is the sort of horn-blowing I can't stand. Please don't do it anymore.
and in the very next moment you say this:

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I've got far too many years of experience to not have seen those kinds of comments from people about who they are, what they know, etc.
As for me, well I started playing the trumpet in the fourth grade, so alas, I am a horn blower after all.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
We're ALL amateurs, despite any silk suits or cotton gi's.... you, me, and everyone on this list. The sooner that's accepted, the better, IMO.
True. However,

*Crrrruuuunch* (fortune cookie being opened) "..it is always good to take long look in mirror before giving long speech you not even interested in."

In any case, I appreciate you taking a step to raising the level of the discourse, regardless of the fact that you and I may disagree on how best to do that.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.