View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #103
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Standing Postures in Aikido?

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
[snip extraneous] Where I would like to start is that scenario I put forth. I would like you to postulate a way in which the throw could be achieved. If you would like you can contrast this with the subject of the thread, Standing Postures and give your views on how one moves from using the body to generate power from the ground up to generating power when there is no ground. Truth is, I am very interested in your answer because I have no idea. I took the time to ask because I thought you might put forward something that might have me begin some type of internal inquiry that I could use to develop some external process - maybe even one involving standing postures of all things.
As I said in several posts on several threads, power either comes from the ground or from the weight and body closing. It has to do with paths and focusing them. A number of the techniques I watched Shioda do on video yesterday had to do with him controlling paths downward. So he did "tricks" using the ground in up, out, toward-the-body, and down, even though "down" is not able to access the ground. The Asian view though is that all four directions of power originate in the middle so the down-power is considered also "from the dantien". In the air, I can generate power downward with a trained impulse; there are several ways to do that impulse, but without seeing the demo you mentioned, I'm not going guess what was used. And I'm not "postulating" anything, Shaun... I can do it. In terms of trying to tell you how that power is stored and released, I'm not even going to try to do it with the printed word. You have enough information to work on; what you need is someone to show you how.

What you miss from my perspective, Shaun, is that these things I'm telling you have an obvious logic to them. I've said that before on other threads. I said something like "If A = B" and "If B = C", then A must equal C. It's that obvious. It's like also if I know that someone knows "A" and that the only way he can know "C" involves him understanding "B" , then claims to know "C" while showing total ignorance of "B" tell me that he cannot know "C". I.e, I can gauge what people know by what they show they know and what they show they don't know. Many of the things I've said have been throw-outs to start discussions, but along the way I could spot things that people could NOT know, as well. That's why I've suggested that you simply engage in descriptive dialogue and quit intimating useable knowledge. Knowing the *steps* in Misogi is like knowing the steps in any qigong... it won't do you any good without understanding those basic principles that link all qigongs, including Misogi practices.

It is always interesting to compare notes, but we all have to feel out what the common level is before we can establish a common dialogue. I'd suggest that you and any other Aikido "experts" who have useable knowledge make an effort to share any real information you have on forums like this one. You're not going to get many fluke outsiders like me that will tolerate the flummery, so you need to start the habit of open, useful sharing that gets beyond the petty bickering and egos.
Quote:
PS - You mentioned something about what you had heard from one of Abe Sensei's direct students. I know most, if not all of Abe Sensei's senior students that regardless of age or rank were still practicing anytime over the last 15 years. Let me share what one of them said to me when I first met him. He said, " I have been training with Abe Sensei for decades and what he chose to share with you (referring to me and others) in these two weeks are things that he never shared with any of us." Of course he was only speaking of what he had seen Abe Sensei share in public when he happened to be present, and therefore was not in regards to what took place When Abe Sensei and I met in private. Those things, as requested by Abe Sensei, I never talk about with anyone who was not in the room. Let me add, his tears were genuine. As for why he shared it with me, and not others I have no answers I would post here. As for how much I know, I would only add that should one day my teacher, Matsuoka Sensei reveal to me what Abe Sensei shared with him, I would not be surprised to find myself in that senior student's shoes, tears and all.
Shaun, this is the sort of horn-blowing I can't stand. Please don't do it anymore. I've got far too many years of experience to not have seen those kinds of comments from people about who they are, what they know, etc. It just takes away from the important things to discuss. We're ALL amateurs, despite any silk suits or cotton gi's.... you, me, and everyone on this list. The sooner that's accepted, the better, IMO.

FWIW

Mike Sigman