View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #331
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
Ok, to try and sum it up: You're arguing that at a high enough level, strength shouldn't matter. Mike disagrees if I'm reading you two correctly?
Pretty close; of course size matters to a degree but there are other factors. How about: I'd say that at a high enough level, having less strength than the attacker shouldn't matter so much that it cannot be compensated for in other ways. Like, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Am I really the only one who has seen a smaller person defeat a larger one? I do understand that the UFC and Pride matches were not actual combat, but I'd say they are pretty decent competitions where some big guys were defeated by smaller ones. It seems like a logical extention to me.

Here are some interesting questions that come to mind. Of the people that O-sensei defeated in challenges, where they all smaller and weaken than him? Where the uchideshis O-sensei was bouncing around all over the place all smaller and weaker than him? Or was he just in the optimal postion to render their power less useful to the attacker?

You know, if O-sensei were alive to settle the argument, I have a strong feeling, I wouldn't be very upset about his verdict.

Rob