Thread: Punches
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Ron (rudeness has its own rewards...I know instructors that would clean someone's clock for that kind of rude behavior)
I don't want to get off the point by discussing rudeness, Ron. I thought it was rude, too. The point is that too many people in Aikido are used to linear, stylized, and predictable attacks. I watched a video the other day of someone who has been recommended as "very good" by some people on this list. He looked "very good" to me, also, but I could only judge him from an Aikido perspective. He was polished and very fast and very effective.... but he also has trained himself against exactly those linear, non-feinting, cooperative attacks which he handled. I don't have a clue how he'd do in a real fight against an equally large, strong, and experienced fighter from another system. I suspect he'd be very uncomfortable without the standard attacks, though.... and that was the point.

And BTW, if by not repeating back the standard dogma within Aikido about Aikido I'm breaking taboos, as seems to be the case with a few people, please bear in mind that I'm used to clinical discussions about martial arts that don't involve dogma...I'm not trying to offend or disparage by not repeating the legends suitably.

Regards,

Mike