Thread: Equitable?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #290
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Meggy Gurova wrote:
Any woman that is heavier than the man in front of her, that's for sure!
Now the nature has made us lighter and shorter, but don't forget there are strong heavy women and very thin and short men!
I understand and agree, Meggy. However, the question I asked, just in order to avoid what you're saying, was: What high-level woman martial artist do you want to put up against a high-level male martial artist? .

Although many people in Aikido try to emasculate it, Aikido is still basically a physical martial art... who would honestly expect women to equal men statistically in this sort of thing? I am reminded of the old Irish saying: God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Surely we can recognize what cannot be changed in this instance? Natasha basically pointed out the problem when she said, "After all, however good Steven Seagal's aikido is, most girls don't actually want to be like him." Women are not necessarily driven by the same things men are... and aren't we glad of that in so many cases?

Regards,

Mike Sigman