View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Zen in the art of archery

So I just finished this book. I was alarmed by the similarities between the style of instruction between the Master and the student (author) and the instruction I've seen.

The instructors I've enjoyed the most implemented such a style (I believe). Further, of what I've read on Ueshiba, he implemented the same style.

It also gives me a new perspective on Aikido--I think maybe it's putting together the idea of what a lot of people call Aikido and what I call Aikido--basically (as stated in an article or two that I've read also) that the attitude of the practitioner is what makes it a -do and what makes it Aikido-style hand-to-hand techniques.

Any body else read this? The book's been around for a long time. I'd say it was enlightening (no pun intended).

I also like the report the author gives on the Japanese student:

"The Japanese pupil brings with him three things: good education, passionate love for his chosen art, and uncritical veneration of his teacher. The teacher-pupil relationship has belonged since ancient times to the basic commitments of life and therefore presupposes, on the part of the teacher, a high responsibility which goes far beyond the scope of his professional duties."